11/28/09

Busy Weekends

More and more, I can't wait for days off when I can hang out with my horse and cows.

Yesterday we saddled Muffin. The saddle is very stiff and unwieldy, hard leather. The saddle blanket is slick as goose poop. It was difficult getting it all strapped down, as well as getting the stirrups set at the right angle, the right length, and the belly band and cinches down right. Muffin was very patient with all of our arranging and rearranging; now that it is set for her size the rest of the times should go more and more smoothly. Even though she hasn't been ridden since she got here, she did not buck or even bow up; she did not like the bit in her mouth, though! She is soo sweet. We had to get the cows out of the corral; they were curious and she got mad at them for getting so close to us. She will be a good cow horse; she is so protective and dominant, won't put up with their crap. But I had to get her settled into getting saddled up first!

Been a long time since I swung my legs up onto and over a horse back, though. As I hoisted myself up, I felt a "crack" as a rib bone gave way. It hurt like hell but I got up anyway. I rode her for about two hours around the corral, getting used to the saddle and her used to me. You can't splint a single rib bone, can't do anything with it, so there was no point in getting excited. I was too excited to finally be 'back in the saddle' again, so I was determined to ride it out. Since Muffin doesn't canter or gallop - apparently, according to the trainer, ever! - I was quite comfortable. When the big earth mover down at Rhett's cranked up, she simply stopped, looked, and blew until she felt it wasn't a threat. Then we walked on.

I really dislike the way the trainer taught her how to be ridden 'plow-handed', both hands on the reins. I am used to guiding a horse with a single hand on the reins, and remembering to change to two handed is difficult. She has such a soft mouth, though, that I have to be careful - the slightest tug on either rein and she is instantly responsive. I don't want her hard-mouthed.

I watched her ears the whole time; you can tell a lot by a horse's ears. She kept flicking one ear back, listening for my comments. I kept talking to her quietly. She would walk up to Mike and stop in front of him while he was taking pictures, ears pointed forward to him, as if she were posing. Never once dd she lay her ears back or convey impatience. She did blow her belly out when we first saddled her, but it took so long for us to get everything set for her little size that she had to give it up! LOL

After I unsaddled and brushed her out, I gave her an apple so that she would know that after rides she gets treats. I filled the trough, she ambled over and got a big drink, and then I went out front to help Mike with the Christmas decorations; he was running the timers and outlets today. Then I had to run to Valentine to get more cords and the sawhorses for the table he built for the ceramic village.

I am so busy now, but all I really want to do is hang out with the animals and do what needs to be done around the house and farm. There is so much to do, and so little time. But even though I am sore and exhausted, I am happy.

My brother called the day before yesterday and told me that I shouldn't have gotten a horse, because now I couldn't go anywhere, ever. He said that it was bad enough that I had chickens and cows that had to be fed every day, but now I had tied myself down to the farm forever. I told him that not only didn't I mind that, it was what I wanted. He likes to go off to California and Salt Lake and everywhere else for a week or two at a time, or at least on the weekends. I have had enough of kiting off. I hate being away from the farm even to go to work across the street or to Valentine, I miss it so much and my mind is always there even when I am not. I don't understand what people don't understand about that. This is what I love, this is where I want to be, and this is what I have always wanted.

No comments: