8/27/08

Eat a Vegie A Day

"Eat a vegetarian a day, and reduce your chances of being infected by idiots."

I love vegies, but I really love meat. Smoked ham with that delectable juice, bloody medium rare beef with the blackened taste of the grill across it, spaghetti with a rich meat sauce and big sausage/ground beef meatballs, turkey with the crispy skin peeling off, chicken roasted, stewed, souped, riced, or sherried... ummmm. Yup, even hot dogs or hamburgers wolfed down two at a time, covered in mustard, saurkraut, onions raw or grilled, and thick slices of melty cheese. Dark and flavorful deer meat, steaks, cubed steaks, even stuffed into sausage skins and grilled. Yummers!

Of course some fanatical vegetarians produced a miserable ad about how feeding your kids hot dogs could kill them with cancer. Gotta say that I started my educational life in Catholic school, where they served "lunch" - a hot dog en bun, a bag of chips, and a carton of mlk every day except Friday, when we could eat our choice of tuna salad, egg salad, or a fish sandwich. (Being a stubborn child, I asked if egg wasn't a baby chicken and got spanked for my curiosity.) I ain't dead yet; and, with about 200 days a year for five years of hot dogs, and hundreds of poverty-stricken days afterwards when hot dogs were the only meat I tasted, I still don't have cancer!

" The animal rights crazies at the misnamed Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) are at it again, blanketing America with a TV ad re-branding hot dogs as the new cancer stick. But is anyone buying their baloney? The Associated Press noted last night that PCRM’s research is lacking; and the children in its ad, who claim to have terminal cancer, don’t.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPaxW3BrgIY

A new TV commercial shows kids eating hot dogs in a school cafeteria and one little boy’s haunting lament: “I was dumbfounded when the doctor told me I have late-stage colon cancer” …But the boy doesn’t have cancer. Neither do two other kids in the ad who claim to be afflicted.The commercial’s pro-vegetarian sponsors say it’s a dramatization that highlights research linking processed meats, including hot dogs, with higher odds of getting colon cancer."

I wish people would just shut the hell up. "We are ALL gonna DIE!" if we do this that or the other. Guess what? We are all gonna die ANYWAY. And I'm going out with meat and vegies and probably liquor and who knows what in my gut, because life is too short to let fanatical crazies tell you how to live.

No comments: