11/14/08

Second Place!!!

The Drama Club went to Hyannis and came in second!!! Seven of the kids received honorable mention, and one was runner-up for Best Actress.

These kids are really committed, awesome, fun-loving. Jais painted the sets in two hours once the Club built them and set them up. We worked on makeup and costumes for two days - slavishly, because they had missed four days, Thursday thru Sunday, because of the blizzard. Now these kids go on to compete in the District finals, and then State.

They remind me of the kids that used to hang out at the house back east; fun-loving, determined, educating themselves instead of waiting to be handed things.

Tammy came in Sunday morning at 630 AM. She left Wednesday to spend the weekend with her brother in Las Vegas - they are actually going to California for the weekend for a Renaissance Faire to perform with Thomas' troupe. So in a week's time, Tammy will have traveled from one coast to the other, and seen the places she has always wanted to see. She'll be back here next week to hang out with us. I will be able to spend more time with her then - getting ready for the Drama Club's performance Wednesday was so rushed. We did manage to make Taco Tuesday at the Husker Hub. Pat told me she will be decorating for Christmas this year - heh heh heh.

Mrs Schneider - the wife of the fellow who owns the Propane and Oil company here - came to talk to me yesterday. Her hubby had told her about the basement room where all of my Christmas ornaments are in boxes, waiting to be put up. She hasn't decorated in a couple of years either. I told her that the FFA kids will put up her decorations. She may decorate again this year.

No one had signed up to do the front bulletin board at school for December, so I talked to Cheryl (who loves snow and mischief as much as I) and we signed up to decorate it. Heh heh heh. I went online and found exactly what we wanted and had talked about putting up. We signed up as "the Cody Elves".

Folks who thought I would be homesick, would pine for the past, the warm and humid southern way of life, were so wrong. The people who move to places and don't fit in, who get homesick and want to return to a previous life, are the ones who puzzle me. I chose Cody not just because they have snow and cold winters - I could have found that anywhere out here. But because the people are so busy and so easy to inspire, because they have good hearts and are industrious and honest and just plain fun.

Yes, I would still love to bundle up the people I love and left behind and load them into my pickup and move them here - but that is because the people whom I love would fit right in, too. They would find their souls again here. They would be able to share their joy and not have it stifled, warped, cut, and wounded, by all of those nasty, selfish, and cruel people who hurt others for their own bitter and self-promoting pleasure. Yes, I miss my friends and my daughter, so very much. But just as I have found my happiness here, I want them to be here and finally, blissfully, happy too.

Homesick? Who has time to be homesick, when life here is so intense and living it is - at last - so much fun?

No comments: