3/21/09

What a day!

Well, this morning we got up bright and early as usual, and bustled out of the house by 7 AM. We went to Valentine. At True Value they measured out hose for the sink connection so that I can water the plants in the bay window (some are already over an inch high!). At Baumgarr's Farm Supply I got the equipment for my brooder; the heat lamp, the feeders, the waterers. We got groceries and then went to Pizza Hut for lunch. I took the long way home and Mike slept whle I drove around the Dam. There is no ice now; the waves were battering the shore like always. All along the way we saw pheasants, turkeys, deer, and antelope, bounding out and enjoying the beautiful sunny day.

When we got home I went to the computer and ordered the chicks for the brooder. 10 cocks and 10 pullets. I'll raise the hens and slaughter all but two of the cocks when they are 12-16 weeks old. That way I can have the eggs I want and still have babies! Mike is going to build chicken tractors to put out in the garden to keep down the bugs and weeds, for when the chickens get old enough to be outside.

Then we went out to chop wood. I wanted to fll the woodbox; this next week looks to be pretty bad, with lots of rain and snow and ice. We may even get a Snow Day out of it! So I got the axe and the mallet and the wedge and was splitting logs. Paul came by and offered to help cut down the tree that is uprooting Mike's shop; so they tied a chain around it, girdled it, and yanked it down. I scooted over to Pat's and got some beer for Paul and root beer for us. As they cut up the tree, I loaded it in the wheelbarrow and stacked it neatly next to the garage, to dry out for next year.

Finally at 5:30 we were done. I'm going to go take a shower (pheeewwweeee!!!) and we will have leftover pizza for supper.

MAN what a busy day! And so satisfying - a wood box full of wood, ready to go for a week of snowstorms, chickens that will come in a week or two to fill the brooder in the basement, and green plants growing in the bay window. Life doesn't get any better than this. I'm very tired but, ohhhh, so satisfied!

No comments: