5/8/09

Beginnings Of Birds

Well, the Barred Rock chickens I ordered came in this AM. They were hatched, sexed and shipped on the 6th from MO. I have 11 cockerels and 11 hens - 2 more than I ordered; most places do that, just in case.

I was expecting Nancy to call this AM before I left for work; but by 7:10 she hadn't, so I went on in. More than half of the students will be gone today; we figure on only about 20-25 at school. Most of the teachers are gone, too - we are having to double up in classes. As I was getting the coffee on and the Daily and Staff bulletins ready - and getting some cheerful picking-on by the staff who knew I was waiting for the call - Mike called and said that Nancy had just called, the chickens were at the PO. So I finished up quickly and left!

As soon as we got them home, we took them downstairs. We had warm water for them in the dispenser, and I took each chick out of the box, dipped his/her little beak in the water, and they went right to drinking. Then I scattered the chick starter on the paper towels, and they immediately started eating it. I filled the food dispenser and some wandered over to it, too. I went back downstairs an hour later and they had pretty much eaten what I had scattered already, so I fed them again!


They are all pretty cheerful and active. I am watching them very carefully; if they group up under the heat lamp, they are too cold - if they are in a circle outside of the lamp circumference, they are too hot under the lamp. Since it is only in the 60's here - with a sharp, cold north wind - they have to be kept warm and inside for awhile til they get real feathers.

Phydeaux is slightly interested in them; he keeps standing at the head of the basement stairs and listening to the soft peep-peep coming out of the basement! He is not a stair climber, though, and his curiosity has not overcome his fear. Sasha didn't even come out to look or listen; totally unconcerned. However, when the roosters learn to crow, that will change, I'm sure! Still, she doesn't like stairs either.

I've raised chickens before of course; big fat black mamas and some little banties that used to run around in the yard year-round, laying eggs and raising babies. But I've never had just babies; there's always been a mama around to sit on them, keep them warm, and protect them. Starting a whole new generation and family "From Scratch" is pretty exciting but a little scary too. I picked the Barred Rocks because they lay BIG brown eggs, are supposed to be good mamas, and are resistant to cold temps - something I have to consider here now. The roosters will fill the freezer in about 16 weeks with good fresh chicken roasters.

Funny, the Barred Rocks are not a known breed here, even though they have been around since the 1800's. Elaine and Nancy were curious about them, had never seen them before. I hope they feather out to be beautiful and fat and look the way that they are supposed to. Most importantly, I hope that they can DO what they are supposed to!

One more step on the path to being self-sufficient.... Now, no matter what "avian flu" strikes the rest of the country, or how high the price of eggs and chickens goes, I'll have my own. Far off the beaten path, away from the hysteriacs who think that first this, then that, horrible thing is going to happen to them, or what government freaks out over some contrived foolishness or other.

No comments: