10/28/08

Fall Evening

Just some quiet midweek thoughts tonight.

Today I started out late; Tammy and I were up last night IM'ing until late. I didn't hear Mike calling me from the bottom of the stairs; when he finally came up and woke me, it was 10 til 6. Yikes. So I came down, had my cup, and went back upstairs to get dressed. I skipped the Drama Club and went straight to work. Set up my computer and coffee and got to work. A few sudden challenges that I quickly overcame; communication breaking down that I repaired or called for help for - things went swimmingly all day. I'm finding my routine and getting into the rhythm of things, I think. Two more days of school and then all day Halloween off. Schools have the weirdest schedules! The teens and preteens are having a Halloween dance at the school at 8 PM Friday; which means that most of the late-night trick-or-treating will be curtailed. Seventh through twelfth grade having a dance together would be unheard of, impolitic, anywhere else in the world, but here it is just another community get-together.

Came home and intended to rake the yard but I was just tired. My feet and hands have been cold all day - unusual for me, and it was 60 deg outside, not cold at all! Donna asked if I was coming down sick but I don't THINK so - just feel cold. I warmed up this afternoon, though.

Tammy is so looking forward to her trip in two weeks; and a little scared too. I am looking forward to seeing her again; but am scared for her. OK it's stupid - by the time I was her age I'd made that trip 4 or 5 times, mostly by myself, but still... that's my BABY.

Looking forward to the dress-up Halloween night. Let Mike sit on the front proch and give out candy while I play wicked witch. No dry ice here - sigh - so no evil witch's brew. Oh well...

I will probably go to bed early tonight. My email box is full of jokes and election year stuff, but nothing personal so no hurry to read it all. It is so silent here; the stars are out and look close enough to touch, and no breeze is stirring the trees. It is only 7 PM but the air is still and peaceful, like midnight. Lovely. 70 degree temps tomorrow and Thursday... then a little cooler but no rain or high winds. The fall air smells so wonderful; no pine scents or leaves burning, but woodsmoke from our and others' woodstoves spice the evening air like cinnamon.

No comments: