10/4/08

Yeah, But Who Eats Worms?

My friends all know that I am NOT a morning person. Grumble grumble grumble don't wake me don't bother me, sun's not even up yet grumble grumble grumble. But lately I have been getting up earlier and earlier, long before the sun, getting up before a bird chirps in the trees outside my window. Last year I HAD to get up early to get to my job 40 miles away on time every day. Driving in the dark, a second cup of coffee in my hand, grumbling at the world, calling my other friends and chatting because they had to get up early too, might as well be miserable together.



Now it's different, though. Like I told my buddy Kimburrkay, I get out of bed every morning now like it was Christmas. I've got lots to do and daylight is getting shorter and shorter. Soon the wild turkeys' lives will be in danger. Heh heh heh. And there might be other critters I will need to attend to.



Of course, my new job requires that I be at work at 7:30 AM. That is not a struggle - a short 5 minute walk away. I can drink two cups of coffee before I hit the shower. As the days grow cooler and wetter, maybe even snowy, I'll still walk it though it might take me a couple of minutes longer. Last night I stayed up downloading my pictures of the Homecoming Day, and a little cowboy logo to disk to play with at work. This is going to be fun. Everyone knows my motto, "If you can't have fun, why bother?" But I guess my idea of fun is a little different from many - creativity, inspiration of others, having fun and enjoying life, putting my heart into whatever I do, is my stock in trade.

So this morning it was Saturday, and my eyes popped open at 4:49. Well, there's a lot to do - pump out, then scrub out the pond, winterize it by getting it cleaned out and bringing in the pump for the winter. I dread getting caught by my unawares with cold weather, and I surely do NOT want to be scrubbing that pond when it is cold.



The pumpkin seeds are dry and need to be put away. I am anxious to carve that other pumpkin for the front porch, but don't want to do it too early and have it rot, so I am restraining myself. It has a flat side, perfect for what I want to do. There's bread to bake again, and laundry to do. I want to get down into the ceramic shop and play some more, work on some stuff. Have to check on the sunflower seeds, see if they are dried out enough, and get them ready; and am debating whether or not to clean and paint the birdfeeder to hold the smaller seeds.



Tammy is back at the old house still, cleaning it up, and has pulled up a lot of my cement border stones. She has a brilliant idea - she is putting them in the bed of her little truck to make the drive out here in November, in case she has a little trouble getting through between us and her brother's house in Vegas. On the way back, she'll drop them back at our Cody house. She knows how much I liked those cement border stones! And of course I know just where I can put them...



The air smells like rain comin', so I guess I'd better get started. I don't think my bedroom window will be open for too many more days, but I am enjoying the scents of the changing weather outside. Yes, I am an early bird now, getting ready for whatever comes this year...

No comments: