6/10/08

Kewl Discoveries

We went into the garage today to get the lawnmowers; Mike to work on the riding lawnmower, and me to push the self-propelled mulcher around the yard - with all of the rain we've had, and the lawn not being mowed in three weeks, the grass was almost knee-deep! So I got to work, but Mike called me back after an hour - he'd found the old metal sign for the dairy that used to be here. Rusted but I might clean it up and hang it.

The garage is coming down eventually; it really is too far gone to do anything with, the insurer said he couldn't even insure it! 100 year old wood and cedar shingles can be used elsewhere; the chicken coop or the greenhouse. I could probably sell the wood on EBay and make a killing, but I won't - too useful. Everyone uses and reuses everything here. Some old metal signs - old billboards- actually make up one side of the tack shop.

The door to the basement from the backyard we finally forced open yesterday. It is spiderwebby between the outside and inside doors but it is a quicker access than going up the stairs into the back porch, then going inside and going down a flight of stairs! So much easier to bring the laundry out to the clothesline. Yes we have a dryer but the wind blows here all of the time and clothes, even jeans, dry in less than two hours. And the air smells so sweet! The cottonwoods are blooming now and the air is thick with the scent. Now so are our clothes. Beween the pure untainted water and the fresh sweet air, our clothes are soft even off the line.

Yesterday too we found the local supplier of honey. I have never seen honey so pale yellow; the bees only hang out in alfalfa and clover fields where the cattle graze, and the honey is so light and sweet and rich. I bought two bottles; and I think I know what some Christmas presents will include this year!

The last little discovery was something so small and so dumb... The movers had unloaded my molds onto shelves in the basement. I walked into the room and there sat a two foot high mold of a dwarf that I didn't even know I had!! Many of the larger molds I got from Janine's daddy when he passed I didn't even look at or open. It was odd seeing that.

Today it got up to 85; but the south wind was so dry and cool that even mowing all of that grass was - well, ok, not pleasant but tolerable! It is still blowing tonight; gusting occasionally up to 30 mph, but so warm that it is still 73 degrees out there. The storms predicted for tomorrow look to pass us by to the West and North. Yesterday I got another great pic of a huge rainbow that seemed to touch the earth right on our back hill. Those storms went around us, too.

Tomorrow I will finish cutting the back yard and get some more clothes out on the line. It seems kind of boring I know but it isn't; the weather and the little surprises every day make everything just seem to flow into the next thing, the next day, the next job to do. We have the house open tonight and the wind blowing thru, it is warm and smells so good; dry. flowery, fresh, and so relaxing after a long sweaty day.

2 comments:

Southern Focus Designs said...

LOL...I couldn't help but laugh when you said the air smells sweet! I remember once, my grandmother hung the sheets on the clothesline in the middle of summer. That night it was like sleeping on cow poop because the smell got into the fabric! LOL It just brought back a good memory...sort of! ;)

WileyCoyote said...

LOL yeah, well, we don't have any cows yet!! We are the only ones with large property close to town - we are on the North edge of town, everyone else's cow, pig, and goat properties is either north of our fence or South, West, or east of the town's boundaries. Things may change once we get involved with the Dexter cattle people, though!! ;-> But I kinda like the smell of cow poop...

Last Friday I went to the barn and shoveled up some old horse manure to put down for my new plantings. I mixed it in the wheelbarrow with water and made a sludge, then poured it into the dirt. Sounds gross but man I do like that smell!