6/22/08

Sleepy Sunday

Today was oddly productive and lovely. We are unpacking faster now; we are down to the last 20 boxes or so. Out of over 300 that is some accomplishment! The front room with the bay window is all set up now; looking neat and tidy except for a few stray boxes that have to go downstairs. Now we are to the stage of re-packing; finding things that are not useful right NOW, like Christmas ornaments and winter clothes. We set aside boxes for them and in they go.

But Mike got the pictures hung and I have the bay window set up at last with the vignette I planned; the North vs South chess set I made for Mike seven years ago. The base is Fort Sumter. It is huge and heavy and very substantial - and if you look thru the window at it you can see either the GWTW poster or Scarlett on the opposite wall. We put a gooseneck spot on it and light it up at night. I like it better than the standard light on the table in the window... It will of course change with the seasons; the Christmas Village and the Halloween stuff will succede it in time, but I am very proud of that chess set!









I finally got my cherry tree planted today. It is so hard to pick a spot - can't be too close to the corral, because its leaves are poisonous to cows and horses. Can't be out in the middle of nowhere, or a snowplow or car might impact it when the snow gets heavy. Can't be under one of the big hawthornes or maples or it won't grow. Has to be protected from winds and snowdrifts... So I put it near the tack shop, between the tack shop and corral. Used the Guerney's fertilizer for Fruit Trees that I had for my peaches, and lined the hole with aged horse manure.

While I was out there, Lake came up... apparently she was feeling rather lonely and curious, because it was still morning. Mike and I fed her Oreos and talked to her. She is still a little shy but getting better. While she wandered around, I raked up a lot of cut grass that Mike mowed down with the mower, it has dried and looks like green hay. I loaded it into the wheelbarrow and wheeled it inside the corral. I headed for the north barn to put it in the gated partition; and Lake came over quietly... and began nosing the grass out of the wheelbarrow onto the ground! LOL Brat. She was cutting her eyes at me while she did it, too. I treated her for flies again yesterday; they are vicious and gather around her in swarms. Nancy says I'm spoiling her, but hey, at that age she deserves to be a little spoiled!

Must bring in the rest of the clothes off the line and finish painting the porch but it is Sunday and I am sleepy....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lake is a beauty! Love that picture of her!!!