6/8/08

Sunday Already??

Wow. It has been raining most of the week; over 10 inches as of yesterday morning, and we had still more last night. Last Sunday the wind was from out of the north and it got so damp and chilly we lit a fire in the woodburning stove. Before that, though, we went to Merritt Dam and walked the pups around it, just to take a break - we had been unpacking steadily since the movers came Friday. I drove south on 97 towards Mullen just so Mike could see how vast the river was, and all of the parks, campgrounds, and fishing holes that lined it. Black storm clouds loomed and we decided to turn around. We no sooner walked in the door at home than we heard that there had been a tornado 30 miles north of Mullen that had crossed Highway 97!!

This week has been a bear; with all the rain everyones' basements have flooded, ours included. We wetvac and then take the water up in five gallon buckets. It isn't too bad - it is a huge basement and the water spreads out- but it is damp and cold down there. Mike caught a cold and is in bed today. Today I went down and wetvac'ed and carried buckets - then took a mop and bleach down with me and poured the bleach all over the cement. Then I mopped it up with the remaining water. It smells much better now; not so dank and dreary. Today the west wind has blown the clouds away and it is sunny and windy and about 70 degrees. So I opened up the house and the basement door to air everything out.

Yesterday we went to an auction 1/2 mile up the road; a family sold their farm and we needed some stuff. We got a washer and dryer for $100; they are only two years old. We got a riding lawnmower and a gas push mower for $125, too. I need to do laundry; I am out of jeans, even after losing one pants size already due to all of this work!! But I have to dress a little today; Jaqui's daughter is having her graduation party in Valentine. Valentine is only 38 miles away, but in the Central Time Zone; we are in the Mountain Time zone. So while the graduation is at 4 it is actually at 3 my time. Here they call it "Fast time" and "slow time"... You can leave Valentine and get home at the same time you left! My car clocks are on Central time, my house clocks are on Mountain time. Have to remember to get laundry soap and Downy while I am out; once we get the washer and dryer down into the basement tomorrow, I will be doing laundry. There is a laundry chute into the basement, but I'll still have to bring the clean clothes up when I'm done! LOL

Mike has a walkin closet off of his room downstairs; one whole room upstairs across from my BR is a closet for me. Mike's bed and new recliner were delivered Wednesday this week; the bed raises and lowers the feet and has massage. His chair is called "The Beast" and it dwarfs my little recliner... he has every comfort now for his back and hip.

I told the folks at the Hub the other night that I was to the point of chunking everything into the yard that hadn't been upacked yet and having a bonfire!! LOL

I got the girl at True Value to mix up the perfect red for the outside trim of the house; it is a deep Bing Cherry, almost black-red. Startling and so pretty. We have matching gliders on the verandah and I managed to plant quite a few daylilies and roses from my tarped SC plants. I am busy all the time and have a huge list of things that need to be done, but at least here everything is cheap and readily available.

Busy but very content. This is how I wanted things to be...

No comments: