9/24/08

Beans Tonight

Ummmmm. I love baked beans.
But I don't just pour 'em out of a can, uh-uh, no way. First I fry up about a pound of those ends and pieces of bacon til it is crispy. Then I toss in some onion, and brown it. Then I mix up my sauce - I can't tell you what is in it of course, but it is sweet and tomato-ey with a peppery spicy tang to it. I cook that a little bit til it gets almost like caramel, then add the beans, stir well, and either bake or simmer til done. With cornbread or home fries - you have a meal.

There used to be (and maybe still is) a brand of beans that comes close to mine called (I think) Big John's. It started with some of the same stuff I do, but somewhere along the way they lost that additional bite, that flavor tang. Maybe its all that bacon grease; who knows?

So since we went to town this AM, I fried up some of those end pieces to make bacon-egg-and-cheese sandwiches (with homemade oat bread, toasted) for a quick lunch - and used the rest of the bacon to do the beans.

Think I'll make a BIG pot for the town picnic Friday, and see how it goes over. They have to know the new girl can cook, after all! And maybe some itty bitty corn muffins, too....

No comments: