9/2/08

Weird Day

Well, I had made a huge pot of beef stew this morning (we eat our big meal at lunch now), and had been out in the pasture gathering up deadfalls for the woodpile. I was just about to sit down to lunch with some of that homemade bread, when I noticed the oddest thing - there were 10 students with a guy dressed in jeans and a tie standing outside my pasture gate. I put my food up (Sasha is not above eating off of a plate on the counter) and wandered outside. It was the HS class from across the street, learning about plants. I invited them into the pasture where there are lots of different plants - everything from yucca and cactus to grasses and black-eyed susans - and we talked about weather and soil types and how they influence zygonomic and rhizonomic reproduction. The teacher was thrilled that a mere passer-by put so much emphasis on plant life, and was as excited as he to share that knowledge.

Yeah, I know, everyone thinks I just like plants. No one knows that I have studied everything from plant structure and flavenoids to plant reproduction, alkaline vs acidic soils, and even CO2 uptake by plant life. I may have started life with a green thumb - but I have to know WHY things work the way that they do. That's why I want to put rabbits in my greenhouse - not only do they provide one of the most perfect organic fertilizers on the planet, but because rabbits in a greenhouse can contribute up to 300% of the necessary CO2 for plant 'green-up'.

Anyway, it was a good day, and they will be back now that they have permission to come into the pasture and explore and learn about plant life.

I finally ate my lunch an hour later, and then went out and cut up that firewood, did two loads of laundry, and picked up that wire fencing that was strewn about in the east garden and propped it next to the garage. Whew. Guess I'll have to pickle and bake tomorrow - plus I have a Community Development meeting in Valentine tomorrow night. Sigh.

No comments: